|Summer Squash, Leek and Basil Soup|| |
Author: Sarah LaTarte
Quick easy way to use the squash in the fridge! Plus its healthy and delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds zucchini, crookneck or pattypan squash, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped or two little red onions (tropea red onions -- Roots Down grows them every year)
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- ½ cup julienned basil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot, add squash, leeks and onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and squash is slightly tender. Then add stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and partially cover and cook for 25 minutes. Add basil during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Mix the butter and flour together into a paste. Remove 1 cup of stock from the pot and whisk in butter mixture until smooth. Add back into soup, stir until thickened. Remove soup from heat to a blender and puree until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.